Thursday, May 7, 2009

Never Let Go - Part 1

I enjoy a challenge now and then. So, this morning I was feeling a little stumped on what to blog about. What did I do? I went to my lovely followers on Twitter (all 540 of them) and asked them for an 'interesting topic or, better yet, a creative writing prompt'..

My good friend, Mary, from my local writing group gave me this gem:
"You find something other than lint in your pocket. It brings back memories.."


Now, let's get to work!
*******************************************************************

Sara pulled her jacket tighter as she walked down the front steps outside her apartment building. She was starting to doubt that she would ever get used to the cold here in Chicago as she pulled the zipper all the way up to her chin.

As she walked down the street, she lamented the fact that she had once again forgotten to slip on some gloves and she shoved her hands deep in her pockets. Only this time she found more than lint in the left one.

Hmm, what's this then? she thought. She hadn't worn these jeans since moving from Ashland, Oregon to Chicago last May. What could this be? she wondered as she wrapped her fingers around a crumpled piece of paper and pulled it out.

Sara assumed it was likely just an old receipt or shopping list.

But it wasn't.

She unfolded the small piece of notebook paper and immediately recognized Matt's slightly messy handwriting. Matt. He was practically the whole reason she'd left Ashland. Not that anyone knew that. They all assumed it was simply for pursuit of bigger roles in bigger theatres. But no, this move was even more of an escape than donning a costume and sauntering onto a stage.

God, I miss him.. Sara thought to herself as she gently smoothed the softened paper and walked street littered with red-gold and brown leaves. It wasn't much. Just a short note that he'd tucked in one of her books while visiting her one night, a short note with a poem.

My lovely Sara,
I'm so glad we got to spend this evening together. I won't ever forget it. I won't ever forget how you looked tonight, with your hair pulled up, and your silky blue dress that looked like it was made just for you.. Those soft tendrils of brown hair grazing your cheek, your neck.. I longed to be a lock of that hair, to rest against your smooth skin like that. It would be heaven to me. Thank you for going to dinner and dancing with me. I never imagined I would be so lucky as to have a girl like you in my life. But here you are. I will never let you go.

All my love,
Matt

the sun, moon, and stars
their beauty and wonder pale
when compared to yours

A chill went down her spine as she read his words. It felt like years had passed since that night. But in reality it had only been months. Still, the months had dragged on, full of confusion, joy, and pain. Sara was just so relieved to be far away from him now.

to be continued...

7 comments:

Mary said...

Cool! You have me hooked. More please.

Only Aman said...

You do such a great job describing characters and their feelings. It always makes me want to read more.

Kimberly Wright said...

I love reading your stuff. It sucks you right in.

Pamela said...

mama likey.

Captain Dumbass said...

Nice stuff as always. I must have missed the tweet. I would have suggested some undead or some time travel... or some undead timetravel.

Hope said...

What a talent you have of sucking me in leaving me wanting more.

Teri said...

Hmmm....a nifty idea!

 
Home Contests About Me Awards Writings Contact